Choosing a Storage Facility or Storage Unit
After you've decided that you're in need of the extra space offered by self-storage units, the search for the right unit is a lot easier than you might think. It just takes some preparation and knowledge about your wants and needs.
Before You Start Your Search
- Determine the required period of rental. Most self-storage facilities will offer month-by-month rentals with discounts for longer periods. Your rental period will inform any decisions made based on price.
- Have a general idea of the space you'll require. Each unit will vary in size, and you can save yourself a little cash. Consider opting for a larger unit if you might add more in the future.
- Decide how important location is to you. If you need regular access to the items being stored, you'll want to limit your search to local storage facilities.
- Make a list of the most important items you plan to store. Some personal property will require a temperature-controlled unit to avoid damage from temperature fluctuations. Keep the list handy so you can bring up specific questions with the storage facility operators.
Questions to Ask During the Search
- What security measures are used onsite to protect my belongings? Are there any additional security options I need to provide myself?
- What insurance requirements are there for storage? Is proof of insurance necessary for rental?
- What are the access times? How are visitors registered or monitored?
- How do I secure a rental unit? Are any deposits required?
- Which items can and cannot be stored onsite?
- Is it possible to arrange automatic payments? Are the rentals prorated?
- Are packing materials available through the storage facility? Do they offer any moving or shipping services for stored items?
Going into the search process with an exact idea of what you want and what you can afford will save you a lot of hassle. You can approach potential storage facilities with the knowledge you need to make an informed decision. The goal is to come away from the whole thing with a storage unit that has the price, functionality, and location you desire.